|AVEXIS, INC. filed this Form S-1 on 01/15/2016|
Table of Contents
a period of three years after the date that such stockholder became an interested stockholder, with the following exceptions:
- before such date, the board of directors of the corporation approved either the business combination or the transaction that resulted
in the stockholder becoming an interested stockholder;
- upon completion of the transaction that resulted in the stockholder becoming an interested stockholder, the interested stockholder
owned at least 85% of the voting stock of the corporation outstanding at the time the transaction began, excluding for purposes of determining the voting stock outstanding, but not the outstanding
voting stock owned by the interested stockholder, those shares owned (i) by persons who are directors and also officers and (ii) employee stock plans in which employee participants do
not have the right to determine confidentially whether shares held subject to the plan will be tendered in a tender or exchange offer; or
- on or after such date, the business combination is approved by the board of directors and authorized at an annual or special meeting
of the stockholders, and not by written consent, by the affirmative vote of at least 662/3% of the outstanding voting stock that is not owned by the interested stockholder.
general, Section 203 defines a "business combination" to include the following:
- any merger or consolidation involving the corporation and the interested stockholder;
- any sale, transfer, pledge or other disposition of 10% or more of the assets of the corporation involving the interested stockholder;
- subject to certain exceptions, any transaction that results in the issuance or transfer by the corporation of any stock of the
corporation to the interested stockholder;
- any transaction involving the corporation that has the effect of increasing the proportionate share of the stock or any class or
series of the corporation beneficially owned by the interested stockholder; or
- the receipt by the interested stockholder of the benefit of any loans, advances, guarantees, pledges or other financial benefits by or
through the corporation.
general, Section 203 defines an "interested stockholder" as an entity or person who, together with the person's affiliates and associates, beneficially owns, or within three
years prior to the time of determination of interested stockholder status did own, 15% or more of the outstanding voting stock of the corporation.
Certificate of Incorporation and Bylaws to be in Effect Upon the Completion of this Offering
Our amended and restated certificate of incorporation to be in effect upon the completion of this offering, or our restated
certificate, will provide for our board of directors to be divided into three classes with staggered three-year terms. Only one class of directors will be elected at each annual meeting of our
stockholders, with the other classes continuing for the remainder of their respective three-year terms. Because our stockholders do not have cumulative voting rights, stockholders holding a plurality
of the shares of common stock outstanding will be able to elect all of our directors. Our restated certificate and our amended and restated bylaws to be effective upon the completion of this offering,
or our restated bylaws, will also provide that directors may be removed by the stockholders only for cause upon the vote of 662/3% or
more of our outstanding common stock. Furthermore, the authorized number of directors may be changed only by resolution of the board of directors, and vacancies and newly created directorships on the
© AveXis, Inc. All Rights Reserved.